San Giovenale’s Church

History and culture

San Giovenale’s Church

The oldest church in Orvieto

San Giovenale’s Church

A church-fortress due to the presence of the tower on the front side and the spectacular strategic position at the extreme western edge of the city, which coincides with the side where the medieval citadel began to develop

San Giovenale’s church is located in the medieval quarter of Orvieto, in the oldest part of the city. Dating back to the year 1004, the church of San Giovenale was built on the remains of an ancient temple probably dedicated to Tinia, the Jupiter of the Etruscans. Today the church is full of charm in the simplicity of its external forms in Romanesque style, the round-arched portal and the rose window carved into the tuff, owes its name to San Giovenale, bishop of Narni whose effigy is carved above the portal of entrance. The interior of the church, recently restored, is linear and full of valuable frescoes that best represent the painting of the 15th century Orvieto school.