An encounter between religions
An altar from a sacred Etruscan temple that supports the table of the high altar gives its name to this church set among the alleys of the Orvieto cliff
The 13th century church of San Lorenzo de ‘Arari has an extremely simple facade in a typically Romanesque style and with a 15th century portal. The interior of the church consists of three naves divided by ten massive columns, the central nave ends in a semicircular apse. The interior contains frescoes, one of which, dated 1330, represents the Four Stories of San Lorenzo, another fresco preserves only fragments of a Madonna and Child. The reproduction of a Byzantine ciborium in black stone from the 12th century is interesting. The altar table is supported by an Etruscan altar. The altar comes from an Etruscan temple and the name of the church derives from this: “de’ Arari “. Today the church is in use for Orthodox worship.
At the origin of the Dominican order
The ancient cathedral of the city
The oldest church in Orvieto